Sunday, December 16, 2012

Making Easy Street: Clue 4


Look at that!  I managed to finish this clue in a day.  This is definitely a new record for one of Bonnie's mystery quilt clues LOL.  Today, I'm sharing with you my progress with Bonnie's current mystery quilt, Easy Street.

On Friday, when the clue was published, I printed it out with glee.  I was going to a local fabric shop to buy fabric for an upcoming project and then I was going to work on this clue.  I was ready for a full day of sewing happily away.

Then I heard the news coming out of Connecticut.

I was so heartbroken, so devastated, that I couldn't sew.  I know, some people find that sewing is their excape, their release, when disaster strikes.  I guess I'm not one of them, because I couldn't bring myself to even think about sewing.  I guess I just needed time to process the day's events, time to grieve for these families.  It was Saturday before I could even look at my sewing machine.

Side Note:
Mark Lipinski (quilter extraordinaire, fabric designer, quilt designer, all around good guy) has posted on Facebook that Becky at Quliter's Corner quilt shop in New Milford, CT is collecting pillowcases for the children at Sandy Hook School. She is trying to collect around 600. Please pass this message to any sewing friends. Pillowcases can be mailed to her at Quilters Corner, 312 Danbury Rd, New Milford, CT 06776.

Here are a few tutorials on making pillow cases, in case you're interested.  I think I'll be making a few today, if I can find big enough pieces in my stash.  (I tend to only have bits and pieces... yet I have a ton of them LOL.)

Missouri Star Quilt Company's Easy Tube Pillow Case Tutorial:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrYWCma9wgM

My personal favorite, Pirate's Practically Perfect Pillowcase:
http://piraterodgers.com/tutorials/pillowcase%20construction.pdf

OK, let's get back on track, shall we?

Easy Street!  I have to admit, this particular clue was very easy.  We had to make only 64 flying geese in purple and teal.  Yes, "only" 64 LOL.  With the Easy Angle and Companion Angle rulers, it honestly doesn't take very long at all.

Here are my pieces, all cut out and ready to be sewn together:

And here are my 64 flying geese units, all done:

Once these units were done, we were instructed to sew each of the teal/purple flying geese units with one of our black-and-white/purple flying geese units that we made in Clue #2.  These came together super quick as well.  These units are pictured at the top of this blog post.

Did you catch the extra bit that Bonnie included at the end of Clue #4?  She told us to bring out our greens and to cut 145 3½" squares for future use.  Sweet!  I've been wondering when we would get into the greens.

Let me introduce you to the greens that I'll be using:

And here are my 145 squares, all cut out and ready to go:

Wow, I can't believe we're already done with Clue #4.  This means we're (probably) half way done!  That is, if this mystery is anything like Bonnie's previous mysteries.  Those had around 7 or 8 clues, if I remember correctly.  This is so exciting!  Any thoughts yet on how these units will come together?  I've got some ideas, it will be fun to see if my guesses are anywhere close to correct.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment