Monday, December 22, 2014

Grand Illusion: Clue 4

Bonnie wasn't joking when she said the next clue would be easier.  We used pieces from a previous clue, cut some more pieces, and had to sew only a few more units (in Bonnie terms) to complete this clue.  I surprised even myself and got it done in a day!

You can download the clue from the Quiltville blog until sometime in March 2014 (yes, this is new!), at which point it will be retired so it can be published as a pattern you can purchase.  If you're even thinking of working on this quilt, download the clues and save them... or else you'll have to wait until you can purchase a copy later.
Grand Illusion Mystery

Every Monday after a clue is posted, Bonnie has a Mystery Link-Up where participants can share photos of their progress, like I've done in this blog.  Be sure to check it out and see all the wonderful variations in color and fabric!

Mystery Monday Link-Up, Part 4

This clue started us out with the extra HST that we made in Clue #1.  We had to make as many more HST using white and aqua (though if you recall, I swapped blue for the aqua).  We also had to cut out some black squares and some yellow squares.

Here are all my pieces, ready for sewing to begin.


There are my HST triangles, already paired up and ready to sew.  I have to admit, at the start of this project I was a little annoyed at the idea of pairing up your fabric strips before cutting with the Easy Angle ruler for the HST units.  But now I'm a complete convert!  Yes, there is a little extra work to be done to get the strips lined up sufficiently, and yes you end up cutting only one pair at a time, but once you get these pre-matched units to the sewing machine, you FLY through them.

After flying through sewing the HSTs, I kept on sewing and paired up the blue/purple units from Clue #1 with black or yellow, depending on which block they were destined for.  When I was done with that... I had a whole lot of pressing to do LOL.


It didn't take long to catch up with the pressing and to continue sewing pieces together until all the blocks were finished.  I have all my Broken Dishes #2 finished:


As well as all my Broken Dishes #3:


Woot!  I'm thrilled to have these done!  I recently picked up a commission project, so I allowed myself today to play... and play I did.  Tomorrow I have to go back to working on the commission.  Grand Illusion is my motivation to keep on top of this commission... if I get enough work done on it through the week, then I can take Fridays off to play LOL.

Until next week....

1 comment: