Saturday, March 3, 2012

Not Just For Dolls II



I'm back with more doll quilts!

In the picture above, you see the quilt I made for the Redwork themed swap.  I had never done Redwork before but I have been embroidering since I was about 8 years old.  The fun part was searching online for pictures I could translate into line drawings.  I'm really very proud of this quilt and want to make a bigger one for myself.  Maybe not in reds, maybe in bluework (since I already mentioned that my favorite color is blue).


This is the most recent doll quilt I've made, for our Asian Quilts swap.  I have a big stash of Asian fabrics that I just love... and haven't been able to cut up yet LOL.  This seemed like a fantastic way to dig into that stash and get those creative juices flowing.  The fans are fusible applique, and I made the tassels myself with fringe I bought.  The really fun part for me was the sashiko embroidery.  This was my first attempt at sashiko, and I had a lot of fun with it.  I can see myself doing more in the future.


This is another quilt that involves hand embroidery.  It was from our Crazy Quilt swap, and it was my first attempt at making a crazy quilt.  The fabric in the blocks is silk that I hand dyed, the outer border is cotton however.  I learned that hand embroidery on silk is difficult, the silk fabric is hard to sew through.  I'm not sure if I'll ever do another silk crazy quilt, though cotton should be just fine.  :)


Last, but not least, is my quilt from the Wholecloth Quilt swap.  Like all the other quilts on this page, this was my first try at making a wholecloth quilt.  I designed the pattern myself, and I like how it turned out.  Do I want to do a whole big quilt this way?  I'm not so sure.  I get too frustrated at myself when my quilting designs aren't "perfect".  I am afraid that if I made a large wholecloth quilt, all I'd see are the flaws.  For now, I'm content to leave things well enough alone LOL.

So, how about you....  Do you have any new techniques you're dying to try?  Why not make a doll quilt and see how you like it?  Your doll quilt should be somewhere in the range of 16" - 20" per side, so not too big but big enough to get a feel for the new technique.

Comment below and tell me what new techniques you are going to try.  And if you have photos, please share!!  :)


1 comment: